We are three weeks away from the next Business Beyond Borders matchmaking event! If you have been keeping up with our news and updates, and following us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, you already know that the next BBB stop is the African Utility Week (AUW) on 16-18 May in Cape Town, South Africa. This time, European SMEs and clusters in the water, power, waste management and utilities industry will have the opportunity to meet and engage with international business partners.
Each BBB matchmaking event has its own special twist and the one at AUW is no exception. If you have registered for our matchmaking sessions at AUW, find out a bit more about all the activities we have planned for you – apart from the matchmaking sessions between European and international SMEs and clusters, of course.
Opening keynote session
BBB participants will have access to the opening keynote session “The world is talking about the fourth revolution… what opportunity and challenges does this bring to Africa and the energy water nexus?”, which will mark the opening of Africa Utility Week. The discussion panel will include world-class economists, thought leaders and foresight experts who will share their perspectives on the future of the energy world taking into account factors such as digital age and climate change.
Among the high-level personalists are:
- Matshela Koko, Acting CEO of Eskom;
- Ben Ngubane, Board Chairman, Eskom;
- Lynne Brown, Minister of Public Entreprises, South Africa (tbc);
- Timothy Modise, South African journalist;
- James Stewart, Global Head of Major Projects (Power & Utilities), KPMG;
- Lionel Zinsou, former Prime Minister of Benin;
- Lazarus Angbazo, CEO, Energy Connections Business, GE.
If you have registered for the BBB matchmaking sessions, you will be able to choose between five technical workshops (including the one on hydropower organised by BBB partner EREF), which will be spread throughout the three days of the trade fair. The description of each workshop can be found here.
BBB Demo Zone
Business Beyond Borders wants your SME or cluster to maximise your business opportunities at AUW, in addition to our regular matchmaking sessions, BBB participants will have the opportunity to access the BBB Demo Zone, where they can present their technology and business to a wide audience. If you are interested in getting a presentation slot at the BBB Demo Zone, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Slots will be allocated on a “first come, first served” basis.
Project and Country Spotlight
As BBB participants, companies will have access to the Project and Country Spotlight sessions, where one can know more and have a meaningful discussion about the newest project opportunities in the African continent.
BBB Social Media Award
Business Beyond Borders values a close engagement with its participants and wants to maximise your company’s visibility. The event at AUW will mark the first edition of the BBB Social Media Award, which will be two-fold:
- “Most Retweeted” award: participants must use their Twitter handle to join the live discussion during keynote sessions and share their impressions under the hashtag #EUBBB. The company with the most re-tweeted tweet will be announced as the winner.
- “Most Social Meetings” award: under the hashtag #EUBBB, participants must take photos of their matchmaking meetings using their Twitter handles while also tagging their meeting partner’s Twitter handle. The company posting the most meeting pictures will be announced as the winner.
The winners of the BBB Social Media competition will win a basket with typical South African products, and will have the chance to be featured in further BBB promotional efforts on social media and on the BBB website (videos, profile articles, etc.).
We hope all these exciting opportunities sway you to book your tickets to Cape Town and join the BBB event! In the meantime – and because there’s nothing like hearing it from the mouth of previous participants – find out how attending the BBB event at AUW can benefit SMEs and clusters by watching the following video with Mr. Alexander Huppertz of the Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme: