As mentioned in our previous blog post, one of the African Utility Week workshops in which Business Beyond Borders (BBB) participants will have the opportunity to participate will focus on hydropower. This workshop will be organised by BBB partner organisations Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme (RECP) and European Renewable Energies Federation (EREF), and will take place on 18 May 2017.
As a preparation for this workshop, this week we bring some useful multimedia tools that will give you a broader understand of the process behind hydropower production and its potential as a key player in the transition to renewable, sustainable energy.
Quick facts about hydropower in the EU:
- According to Eurostat, hydropower was the largest renewable energy resource in Europe in 2015 (14.4% of the total EU-28 renewable primary energy production).
- The main hydropower technologies are run-of-river hydropower plants, reservoir hydropower plants and pumped storage plants.
- 2016 Key Trends in Hydropower (IHA – International Hydropower Association)
- 2016 Hydropower Status Report (IHA – International Hydropower Association)
- Trends in Hydropower, by Michael Harris (HydroWorld Review Worldwide)
The next BBB matchmaking event for SMEs and clusters will take place at African Utility Week (16-18 May, Cape Town). Have you registered your company yet?